Lyon Valley Northern

This site is designed to promote the hobby of ferroequinology. It also provides an opportunity to show the development of the "Lyon Valley Northern": an HO railroad featuring CN and BNSF action in the West. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments at cnlyon@sympatico.ca

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Retired

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

The other side of the Lake

Well here I am at the other side of the lake.  I started by gluing down pink foam with carpenters glue.  I weighed it down while drying to ensure there would be a good bond.  I shaped in an oval as I wanted a drumlin from the ice age.  I would want a flat top so I could put in a FOS SCALE radio station.  Hmmm Another project. 
I shaped the foam with a box cutter.
 Next I added some celluclay to the backside of the drumlin.  It easy easier to work from back to front.
 I then used a pallet knife to press some shape into the rock and land formations.

Here you can see the other side as it approaches the lake.  It is a little thicker here because I will be building a road down to the lake.

 This is a closeup of the road going to the edge of the layout.  The celluclay  was smoothed to make a road surface through the rock.
 Next I added some dirt and ground foam as described in the previous posting.  Diluted white glue and wet water makes it all blend together.

 Here it is showing the road down to the lake.

 Then I added dirt to the top and some spirea trees, super trees and some bottle brush conifers.  All had been treated with ground foam.
 This high Angle provides an indication of the separation between the track and the water.
 This is the backside.  The closeup shows the celluclay as rock coming through the earth.
 Here is a shot of the little bay near the road to the water.
 Now you can see the foundation scenery for the radio station.  All these layers makes it look like the train is moving through the landscape and creates depth.  The bench work is three feet here.

 A little more to the right.  The lake track and GE plant.


 Looking from the left side of the drumlin to the farm.  Scenic blocks for the main line are created by the foreground conifers.
 A lower angle indicates a spot for a structure in front of the conifers.
 The drumlin at 1,000 ft
 Drumlin at 30,000 ft
 This shows the backside.  There is plenty of room left by the track for easy cleaning and maintenance.
 From high above the layout you can see the shape of the lake relative to the track work and locomotive facility.
 From atop the BNSF servicing you can see the curve as it swoops from the corner in front of the farm
 A little more to the left you are now seeing CN Elspeth at the yard throat.
 The farm scene has lots of depth now.
 The corner is masked and I can visualize the end product now.

Track cleaning time


Time to run some trains.

3 Comments:

Blogger jgotts said...

Nice Vista Chris. Thanks for taking all the different angle shots, it helps to provide perspective. Why a radio station on the hill? How about a set of cottages overlooking the lake? I'd rent one!

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! I am overwhelmed. This was a great addition. That corner became several very nice and convincing scenes! Your scenery look just better and better!
Olav in Norway

3:31 AM  
Blogger Chris Lyon said...

Olav, jgotts. Nice to hear from you. This project is fun and I would encourage you to give these techniques a try. They are easy to do and do not require very much material. I think they would be especially effective in n scale. We used them a few years ago on the coffee table layout for the charity drive with great success.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home