Lyon Valley Northern

This site is designed to promote the hobby of ferroequinology. It also provides an opportunity to show the development of the "Lyon Valley Northern": an HO railroad featuring CN and BNSF action in the West. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments at cnlyon@sympatico.ca

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Retired

Friday, March 28, 2008

Corner Farm

Well, I kept on going into the corner and around so that I could put the farm and beaver pond in.

Here is a shot from the track which shows the entrance to the farm. It comes off a road that was painted on the backdrop. I used very similar techniques as I did before.

This angle you can see tire tracks which I put in with my Athearn John Deer Tractor. Again the fence will get it's wire when it has dried and hardened.



Here is a closeup of the area along the wall. It is only three to four inches wiede. A single line of trees with woodland scenics bushes and fence posts. This is raised with 1/2 inch foam covered with celluclay.



Here is a picture of the joint between the new scenery and the stuff I did yesterday.



A closer look at the corner you can see the full effect and the fact that the corner almost goes away.


Here is a picture taken from the right side. You can see the beaver pond followed by the area where the farm yard will go.


From the farm there is a road that goes down to the pond. There are three levels. This is the upper pond and dam. The middle pond area is to the right and the road goes right into it. Eventually there will be some cows in here drinking and cooling themselves..



The closeup shows the detail as well as a beaver nibbling on a stump.



Here is the lodge built on the middle pond. A beaver can be seen at the bottom right.




There are two of the little fellas and in behind you now can see the lower dam.



Here is the corner area where the farm yard will be built. House, barn silo windmill and stuff.



This took about six hours to do. I had lots of fun and I hope I can encourage you to give it a try.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Woodland said...

Sure is looking great Chris. Thanks for sharing yur scenary knowledge in your last couple of posts.

Wayne

3:18 PM  
Blogger OlavM said...

Chris! Real cool stuff! I have never seen anyone use that much spce/time on a spot that does not generate rail traffic for the railroad. But it is SO NICE! A great sample of 'less is more'! The corner blends in nice and the total impression of wilderness is just great. A wonderful place to pass for your train crews and passangers! And a nice home for your beavers!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Chris Lyon said...

Olav. Thanks for your comments. It was really important for me to try and create places on the railway where there is just scenery. Points of interest are critical though, as the farm and pond are classic and allows for many details. It is so nice to get away from industry for a while yet there is still lots to do there as well. Soon I will take some video when the water and farm goes in so you can see the effect with trains going by.

Your very welcome Wayne. I hope there are bit you can take away and use.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Chris Lyon said...

Sorry Olavm for mis-spelling your name

11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my Chris what a great looking layout. I am truly impressed with how many great modelers there are in your area, and you are definitely one of them.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home