Lyon Valley Northern

This site is designed to promote the hobby of ferroequinology. It also provides an opportunity to show the development of the "Lyon Valley Northern": an HO railroad featuring CN and BNSF action in the West. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments at cnlyon@sympatico.ca

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Retired

Friday, March 21, 2008

Trees trees trees


Had a great day making trees for the LVN. Three hours of work. In order to progress the scenery you need to make up a batch of the trees to get you going. Number 1 priority is trees for me it gets my juices going. Without them you cannot go forward (at least I can't). I got 25 feet of scenery to do on Sunday. I used sedum and the old bottle brush for starters.. After careful trimming, I dip them in a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water. Then, I stick them between my thumb and forefinger, upside down in an old ice cream bucket and give them in a spin, till most of the glue has left the park. I learned this from my good friend Mike Hamer. Next, I apply copious amounts of green woodland scenics grass, weeds ...all fine stuff and then sprinkle earth blend as a light dusting. In three hours I made all these trees /.....Great fun. You can shape em with little nips with you scissors. Just leave them in the foam to dry. Next stop the layout






2 Comments:

Blogger James said...

Those are great looking trees Chris! The earth blend sounds like a great idea. Had never tried that myself. I imagine it gives them a nice variation of colour. Look forward to seein where you place them on your layout.
James

9:27 AM  
Blogger Chris Lyon said...

I placed them along the back wall. The space I have to work with is not very deep. 4-6 inches. I posted the progress on the railroad line forum. I will probably be able to get it on the blog tomorrow.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home