Lyon Valley Northern

This site is designed to promote the hobby of ferroequinology. It also provides an opportunity to show the development of the "Lyon Valley Northern": an HO railroad featuring CN and BNSF action in the West. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments at cnlyon@sympatico.ca

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Retired

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Hamer's Corner is now a cut

Well Hamer's corner has now got a foreground hill that is loaded with trees creating a scenic block between the Starboard coal mine and the station



This really creates the illusion of distance and provides a way for the eye to be drawn into the scene.

From the other side this hill or should I say Hamer's cut blocks the view of the train coming from the port coal mine double cross over. The forests really are fun to do with spirea.


Here is a closeup. Click on and see the feel of being in northern Montana or SOuthern Alberta in the foothills.


A more distant shot gives you a feel for this extensive curve.




Finally a shot from the doorway and you can see the starboard coal mine in the foreground as the GP60M and it's B unit haul this mix freight south.


What a great day I had with this little project.





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said you use spirea for trees. Could you explain the technique?
Olav, Norway

2:52 AM  
Blogger Chris Lyon said...

The technique is quite simple. In the winter I cut the flower off the Spirea bush. They come in a number of varieties and have a nice tree shape. I trim them for the size and shape I want. At home I make up a container of 50% white glue and 50% water. I hold the branch upside down by the trunk and thoroughly cover the dried flower area with the mixture. I lift it out and hold it in a bucket. I spin it in my fingertips to get rid of the extra glue. Then I sprinkle on woodland scenics fine ground foam. Last I stick the finished tree into insolation foam which holds it till dry. Repeat until you have a forest. When dry they are ready for planting. They range in size up to 11 inches.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home