Lyon Valley Northern

This site is designed to promote the hobby of ferroequinology. It also provides an opportunity to show the development of the "Lyon Valley Northern": an HO railroad featuring CN and BNSF action in the West. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments at

My Photo
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


Friday, August 14, 2009


Ever get the urge to take an old kit from the late seventies and try to do something with it. I found this picture on the Internet and it drove me to a shoe box that had the Tyco version.

As you can see the original came with all the plastic colours done in the casting.

The parts were on large bits of sprue which were clipped with a sprue cutter
and the mold lines needed to be removed with an exacto knife.

The instructions were very simple and showed quite a bit of thought as it taught the young modeller to build on the flat and from the bottom up.

The details were painted with acrylics and inks were used to weather them

This overhead view shows the interesting roof line. The main roof was painted a sand colour then brown Bragdon powders were applied and hit with mineral spirits. Then a wash of black weather-all was applied (Alcohol/india ink). The rusted roof was done with aluminum acrylic spray bomb then a water based Windsor and Newton Oil (Burnt Umber) was used to create the panels. Then hit with medium and light rust Bragdon powders and a wash of mahogany ink.

I used their signs from the kit. After application I used a watered down version of the brown and black inks on the big sign and mahogany ink full strength on the Ford sign.

The Walls were painted with the Camo tan spraybomb. Then a scratched the paint surface with a dull exacto blade to put grain in the boards. Then the brown Bragdon powder was liberally applied and secured with mineral spirits. Finally the upper surfaces of the wood was drybrushed with flesh acrylic.

Here are views from all sides

The scenic material on the plastic base was an application of dry sand over the surface. I sprayed wet water (water with a drop of dish soap) then diluted white glue 60/40. When almost dry I sprinkled earth coloured sanded grout on some of the surfaces then rubbed it in with my finger so that it created a warn flatter surface. Then I applied some Woodland Scenics burnt grass in some places and undergrowth clusters.

The Chimney was painted with red primer from a spray bomb. Then Robert's Brick Mortar was applied with a brush. When almost dry I took a cloth and wiped it of the upper surfaces leaving the mortar lines as seen.

The figure did not come with the kit. I painted him and then put flesh wash ink on the face to bring out details and a black wash on the clothes.

All in all it was fun to do. A great way for beginners to try and do craftsman style work on a cheap plastic model. Give it a try. You will get hooked for sure. Much better than out of the box.


Blogger Eric said...

Nice job on that Tycomania attack you encountered, Chris! I had a similar Concormania episode which led to me to acquire three Herald Printing kits, each slightly different. I then disassembled two of them to build a Western Tank factory that was located near CP's Winnipeg yard. I took it a step further and had saved several pictures out of Model Railroader issues to show how different modellers used the same building. Kind of neat to see the imagination out there, including yours. Looking forward to some Delson shots,


5:54 AM  
Anonymous Ken King said...

Hi Chris...getting ready for the PNR regional meet in Edmonton for Northern lights 2009 as a layout tour host. wish me luck! ;-)

Interesting India ink wash you use...I have been using an India ink/ wet water mix as opposed to the alcohol...lokkin' good!


1:40 PM  
Blogger Chris Lyon said...

Hi Ken. Good luch at the regional meet. Hope to see some photos on your blog and the railroad line forum

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home