Lyon Valley Northern

This site is designed to promote the hobby of ferroequinology. It also provides an opportunity to show the development of the "Lyon Valley Northern": an HO railroad featuring CN and BNSF action in the West. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments at cnlyon@sympatico.ca

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Retired

Sunday, October 29, 2006

That Alder Model Station goes in

Well as you all know, Mike Hamer was kind enough to build and paint my CN Alder model station. After a lengthy tour of the OVAR and SLD it finally arrived at my home. Mike took some photos (above) and left me to do my thing. Removed from the diarama it made its way to its final resting place. I had a great time this weekend building the hill sides.

First I painted the backdrop then glued in some pink foam board. I then poured kitty litter all over it until the foam disappeared completely. Then I sprayed it with wet water and loaded it with a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water. I then poured sand all over to fill in those cracks.

Then I sprinkled earth coloured grout that had bee premixed with sand. Hit it with wet water again until it was like mud Then static grass and ever shades of ground foam. Then crushed bits of dried bush.

The I poked holes and installed trees from back to front. All in all it took about eight hours to do this little scene and there is still tons to do. .

Anyway here is the update. Not quite modern yet but getting there.

















4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great Chris. The photos are really sharp and show all the detail. The vehicles in the parking lot and people add to a fantastic scene. Looks like a great spot to railfan in HO scale.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Mike Hamer said...

Hi Chris. Yes, the Alder Model station fits into that area of your layout perfectly. I truly believe we chose the best location for the model. As for you scenery abilities...they are "second to none"! Keep the scenery growing and keep those posts coming!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Mike Sherbak said...

Very very nice work on both modelers' parts. Interesting use of kitty litter. I am defintiely going to have to try it. A bit reluctant as I have enough trouble keeping the cat off the modules!
Love the vehicle choices. VW's must be selling well at the dealerships in and around the Lyon Valley Northern ROW !

4:39 PM  
Blogger Mike Hamer said...

Yeah, Mike. I had a laugh when I saw the VW Microbus in the picture Chris posted. I like how the colour of the Volkswagon contrasts nicely with the station and background colours!

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home