Here ia an SD40 that my cousin Bryan Moir gave me. It is a Kato and originally it was lettered for first generation CN wet noodle. CN never had these locomotives. But this Kato is such a good runner I had to get it onto the LVN. I first had my friend Ron Newby install a decoder. Next I removed the wet noodle with 99% isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip. I went to my friend Tommy Hood and he had some Central Vermont decals in G scale and S scale(to get the LVN). I put the big ones on the locomotive sides and the smaller on the nose. I added doodads such as radio antennas, horns, winterization hatch, homemade snow shields and derailer. Also added some fire extinguisher decals and number boards. I think I will put on some homemade sun shades and ditchlights tomorrow. I weathered the locomotive with black and red bragdon powders. Painted the handrails with Ivory Acrylics.
It has been at least six years since I played around with locomotives. I almost forgot how much fun it is to modify and customize these guys. Now the LVN has its first locomotive in it livery. Hmm. Now what else can I do for this puppy.