Lyon Valley Northern

This site is designed to promote the hobby of ferroequinology. It also provides an opportunity to show the development of the "Lyon Valley Northern": an HO railroad featuring CN and BNSF action in the West. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments at cnlyon@sympatico.ca

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Retired

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

New SD40 for the LVN

Here ia an SD40 that my cousin Bryan Moir gave me.  It is a Kato and originally it was lettered for first generation CN wet noodle.  CN never had these locomotives.  But this Kato is such a good runner I had to get it onto the LVN.  I first had my friend Ron Newby install a decoder.  Next I removed the wet noodle with 99% isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip.  I went to my friend Tommy Hood and he had some Central Vermont decals in G scale and S scale(to get the LVN).  I put the big ones on the locomotive sides and the smaller on the nose.  I added doodads such as radio antennas, horns, winterization hatch, homemade snow shields and derailer.  Also added some fire extinguisher decals and number boards.  I think I will put on some homemade sun shades and ditchlights  tomorrow.  I weathered the locomotive with black and red bragdon powders.  Painted the handrails with Ivory Acrylics.










It has been at least six years since I played around with locomotives.  I almost forgot how much fun it is to modify and customize these guys.  Now the LVN has its first locomotive in it livery.  Hmm.  Now what else can I do for this puppy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home